26 December 2020

Boston University Certificate in Genealogy Program

 Beginning mid January 2019 my plan is to enroll in the online genealogy program at Boston University. After a rigorous 15 week course successful students are awarded a Certificate in Genealogical Research. Prospective students should be aware that this course does NOT indicate that they are now a "Certified Genealogist." Although I have not posted regularly due to other commitments, this will be a huge time obligation considering that I work full-time. So my posts will be sparser. My goal is to successfully complete the course so that I can learn more and also fine tune my existing research and writing skills. 

 Details on the Certificate in Genealogical Research program:

  • Course Length: 15 weeks
  • Required Reading: Professional Genealogy, by Elizabeth Shown Mills; Mastering Genealogical Documentation, by Thomas W. Jones; Genealogy Standards, by Board of Certification of Genealogists; and The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy, by Blaine T. Bettinger.
  • Course Program (Modules): 
    • Evidence, Evaluation, and Documentation (4 weeks)
    • Forensic Genealogy (4 weeks)
    • Genealogical Methods (5 weeks)
    • Genealogy as a Profession (2 weeks)
  • Instructors: Are nationally renowned experts in the field of genealogy. See their bios.
  • Semesters: Offered Spring, Summer, & Fall semesters.

 Each week I plan to write a brief review on how the course is going (unless I am told no disclosures until after the program is finished). Reviews that I have read state that the program is extremely intensive and very comparable to a graduate level college course. Let it be known that students do not gain college level credits that can be applied towards a formal degree. Former students stated that they spent between 25 and 40 hours each week on reading and assignments. 






No comments:

Post a Comment