|Dawson Post # 63 grave marker|
The Grand Army of the Republic was a fraternal organization for the Union Armed Forces from the Civil War. The GAR was founded in 1866 and dissolved 90 years later in 1956 when its last member died. The GAR was succeeded by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) which is composed of male descendants of Union veterans.
Albany had the following GAR posts.
Lewis Benedict Post #5, chartered 30 January 1867
George S. Dawson Post # 63, chartered 26 November 1875
Lewis O. Morris Post # 121, chartered 20 August 1870
Timothy J. Quinn Post #601, chartered 04 October 1886
William A. Jackson Post # 644, 31 December 1889
Located on the north side of the Albany County Courthouse on Columbia Street is the entrance to the GAR room where some of these organizations met.
|GAR room entrance at Albany County Courthouse|