25 January 2018

Ancestral Homes : 47 Alexander Street, Albany

47 Alexander Street, circa 2014

The home above, 47 Alexander Street, was that of my 2nd great-granduncle, Stephen Behrhof. Younger brother of my great great grandmother Margaret Behrhof Koreman. Stephen was a tailor who worked with his nephew Henry Koreman Jr. A 1900 Albany city directory lists their business as
Koreman & Behrhof, clothier, 276 South Pearl.



An article from the Knickerbocker News on 03 September 1968, 1:1 by Charley Mooney mentions William Lofink saying "I just made my weekly payment of $1 at Koreman & Behrhof's, 276 South Pearl Street where they sell $15 suits. Then I stopped at George Deiseroth's bakery, Third Avenue and Elizabeth Street (this will be the focus of the next blog post).

This home is no longer standing if my memory serves me correctly. A series of homes were torn down soon afterward. Many of the homes in this section of the South End were built circa 1855-1860.

No comments:

Post a Comment