31 December 2017

End of 2017

2017 is only hours away from ending. How did your genealogical pursuits fare? Did you get everything done that you set out to do? Did you break through that brick wall? These are some questions that many genealogists will sit back and think about.

My pursuits went well this past year. A big find for me was discovering a family branch that was included in a Palatine German genealogy. Now for 2018 I must check the work of the previous researcher for accuracy. We do not simply take the word of others. Sources are listed which will make it easier for me.

Another goal that I recently started and will continue into 2018 is to research my Albert line from Albany's South End. During this initial research I have been in contact with numerous distant cousins and plan to corroborate with them in this search. Unfortunately there are numerous sloppy genealogies out there with most of them missing the big picture. The goal here is to tie all of these South End Albert families together for an all encompassing tree.

Last year I made it to the New England Regional Genealogical Consortium in Springfield. That was an excellent experience for a first time conference. 2018 will bring me to two new conferences. The first, RootsTech in February and second, later in the year to the New York Family History Conference in Tarrytown.

2017 had me visiting numerous libraries and archives; as most of know that all of your genealogical research cannot be completed online. On site research will only increase this coming year. Back to the good old days of visiting old, dark, dusty vaults and shelves and viewing microfilms.

My thought when setting your goals for the upcoming year is not to set them too high. Actually set them relatively low as most resolutions fail within the first few weeks of the new year. The goal should be to set goals that are realistic and not outrageous and bound to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment