03 March 2017

Saturday's Society- Harmonia Gesangverein

On October 31, 1881 a German singing society was founded; the Saengerbund Harmonia or Harmonia Singing Society. The group later reorganized itself on March 23, 1884. Over the years, the Gesangverein met and practiced at many locations, including the Hotel Columbia, Caecilia Halle, and Saint Matthew’s schoolhouse. The society began with fourteen members and grew to include thirty active members and fifty passive members by 1886. Eleven years later the club numbered twenty-two active and seventy-five passive members.[1] Harmonia disappeared from city directories after 1910.  


An undated photo of the Harmonia Gesangverein



[1] Howell and Tenney, eds., History of the County of Albany, N. Y., p. 745. n. a., Geschichte der Deutschen in Albany und Troy, pp. 81, 167, 169.