26 December 2014

Capt. Abram Harrington Found

Although it is the end of December, today's weather was beautiful; almost 50 degrees.  With great weather came a great idea for another search for the grave site of Captain Abram Harrington and his wife Mary.  In a previous post I mentioned that I could not find the site.  Well today with the help of a couple of hikers we found the burial site of a Revoluntary War veteran and his wife.  On a hike, twelve years ago with my family, my wife noticed their grave stones just off the trail.  Today the both stones have fallen and need to be uprighted.  I plan on going back in the spring to "clean-up" the site. There are only two stones so it will not take long.

I am glad that the grave site was found.  At first when I could not find it I began to think that it was bulldozed over to make way for a baseball field.  Fortunately my initial hunch was wrong.  Below are some photos of the site.
Harrington Grave Site

Mary Coons Harrington

Capt. Abram Harrington

4 comments:

  1. I guess it could be worse, but still those are in pretty sad shape...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they could be worse but they will probably look better in the Spring after I upright them and spray them with D2.

      Delete
    2. That should help. At least five headstones had been recorded there in the past, according to the Rensselaer County Cemetery Database. They're also named on findagrave.

      Delete
    3. I will probe around for them. They should be there. Find A Grave initially only had Abram & Mary listed. Alysia recently listed the other three.

      Delete