24 November 2014

Importance of Multiple Backups

We have all heard many times about the importance backing up your data.  For some this may be a new one but how about keeping multiple backups.  Yes, it may sound crazy but what happens if you only have one backup and that backup fails for some reason.  That has the ingredients for a real disaster.

Over the weekend I was updating and backing up various files.  I was putting them on multiple DVDs and then finally on a Centon 128 GB USB flash drive which was purchased this past January.  Well the flash drive died or crashed; either way it will not work and the files that were on it are no longer accessible.

Fortunately I had backup DVDs from earlier in the year plus what is on the computer's hard drive.  If I lost anything I'm not 100% sure.  But I am lucky that I did not store my data simply on the flash drive.

This particular flash drive was purchased because of its capacity, price, and being completely rubber coated.  They advertise it as being waterproof.  I would never trust that statement.  But it appeared to be very well built.  Looks can be very deceiving.  It might be sturdy on the outside but its insides are definitely lacking.

I have my files backed up but will need to get another flash drive.  I will probably buy two.  Just in case one fails.  I do know that I will be staying away from Centon products.  Also I called their customer support line and no one answers.

2 comments:

  1. That's true! Varying your storage and distributing your files to as many ports and media as possible is most advisable nowadays. Because doing so not only expands your technological reach. It also minimizes the risk by distributing the weight and burden of it all. Anyway, thanks for sharing that! All the best to you!

    Lillian Walker @ Taylor Works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had a bad experience recently and could have lost lots of data if I didn't have multiple backups. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete