29 October 2013

Online Genealogy Courses

There are many ways to learn "how to do" genealogical research; such as taking seminars, heading to a local LDS Family History Center, asking other genealogists, joining a genealogical society, reading a book on the subject, or simply talking to librarian. Whatever you do, you need to start with yourself and your siblings and then start to work backwards with your parents, aunts, and uncles; then your grandparents, etc.

Doing genealogical research is a fairly easy task.  However as time passes and as you learn and as your skills increase you may want to become a better researcher and learn about additional resources and how to use them.  I am at that conjuncture in my research.  I am looking to further my skills and find new avenues for my research.  

In early November I will be taking my first online genealogy course from the National Institute for Genealogical Studies.  The course that I am taking is Electronic Resources: Using the Internet.  The syllabus states this course will cover all aspects of using the Internet for family history research, beginning with some of the fundamentals of using the Internet and then moving onto all the many categories of websites that contain potentially useful genealogical information.   

Their courses are relatively inexpensive at $89/course.  Courses last for six to seven weeks.  This is my first venture into online genealogy courses.  The National Institute has a complete curriculum in American, Canadian, German, English, Irish. Scottish, and Australian records.  They also offer certificates in the same fields.  Check out their web page at National Institute for Genealogical Studies for all other details.

As I mentioned this will be my first online course.  I will post a review of my thoughts on their course.  If I decide to take other courses I will review them also.  If anyone has any experience with online courses from the National Institute or any other organization I would like to hear your opinions about them.  Thank you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment