|Henry Koreman, circa 1910|
Henry or Hendrikus Koreman was born in the city of Zierikzee, in the Province of Zeeland, in the Netherlands on 27 March 1841. He was the son of Cornelis Koremans who was baptized on 29 August 1810 in the city of Oosterhout, in the Province of Noord Brabant and died in Albany, New York circa 1867 and Maria Catharina Colen who was born circa 1803 in Antwerpen, Belgium and died in Albany, NY on 11 May 1873. Cornelis and Maria were married on 18 August 1837 in Zierikzee.
|Hendrikus Koremans birth certificate|
Cornelis and Maria had three other children; all born in Zierikzee. Maria Allegonda born 16 March 1838, Catharina born 5 March 1839, and Adrianus Johannes born 31 January 1844. Cornelis was a shoemaker in Holland and continued his trade in the United States after he and his family immigrated circa 1852. I have yet to find the exact date when the Koreman family sailed to America yet I know that by 1855 they found a home in Albany, New York. Below is a copy of the 1855 New York State Census. Note the incorrect spelling of the Koreman name. The census enumerator listed them as Coleman.
|1855 New York State Census|
In the 1860 Census, 19 year old Henry was listed as a shoemaker as was his father Cornelis. By 1863 Henry entered the trade of harness maker and saddler. Not yet married he still lived with his parents and boarded at 49 Jefferson Street according to the 1863 Albany City Directory. At the end of 1863 on December 29 Henry married Margaret G. Behrhof; born August 1844 in Grossbardorff, Bayern, Deutschland and died in Albany on 4 February 1908. The couple were married at the Holy Cross Church on Hamilton Street. The church was the only German Catholic church in the city at the time. The newly weds resided at 160 Broad Street. Interestingly Henry's younger brother Adrianus Johannes, who in all New York records is found as named Charles, married Margaret Behrhof's younger sister, Magdelena. Therefore two brothers married two sisters.
Henry and Margaret resided in Albany's South End at 16 Osborn Street for upwards of thirty years. This section was called "Dutch Hollow" which centered on the area of Elizabeth, Delware, and Alexander Streets. The area was called "Dutch Hollow" not for the number of "Holland-Dutch" residents that lived there; but for the large number of German or "Deutsch" immigrants who lived in that neighborhood.
Henry and brother Charles were in business together in 1873 as saddlers according to the Albany City Directory for that year. Below is a listing from the directory for their business.
|1873 Albany City Directory, p. 123|
By 1880 Henry was listed as a harness maker and his business was located at 373 South Pearl Street, which was the building immediately next to Eintracht Hall, number 371. Eintracht Hall was the premiere German Hall during this time. Numerous German societies including many of the Gesängvereine or singing societies held their practices and meetings there. Singing would play a large role in Henry's life. Henry kept his harness making business in the Albany's South End on South Pearl Street at various locations for the remainder of his working career. From 1899 till 1919 he was located at 395 South Pearl Street.
|373 South Pearl Street - vacant lot & Eintracht Hall to right (2004)|
Henry and Margaret had ten children all born in the South End of Albany. One child is unknown. Their children were
- Mary Louisa (1866 - 1962)
- Henry (1867 - 1916)
- Catherina (1872 - 1911)
- Theresa Ann (1873 - 1959)
- John Henry (1875 - 1942)
- Anthony George (1878 - 1936)
- Stephen Joseph (1882 - 1968)
- Edward George (1884 - 1945)
- Joseph William (1886 - 1979)
The photos below are of Henry and other family members most likely after a Saengerfest or at one of the German Day festivals that Albany held on a yearly basis. These fests always ended with a large picnic. One such picnic area was Dobler Park which is in the vicinity of today's Hoffman Park. Another picnic area popular among the Germans was the vicinity south of Dobler Park, known as Schaller’s Grove. The grove was established in 1903 and was used until the early 1950s when New York State procured the land for the New York State Thruway. Around 1914, northwest of Dobler Park another picnic ground popular with the German element was Marshall’s Grove, located on Delaware Avenue. The German Holy Cross parish held picnics and field days at this locale.
|Henry Koreman seated center |
|Henry Koreman seated left|
Singing held a large role in Henry Koreman's life. On September 20, 1875, the Mozart Singing Society was established. It was a very small Gesängverein, having only eight members. Although, the club was diminutive, it was still able to compete with the larger singing clubs, on account of the talents of its members. In 1884 Henry Koreman was its president, Peter Behrhof was vice president, and Stephen Behrhof was secretary. The Behrhof brothers were also brothers-in-law to Henry. By 1886 the society numbered fifty-three members.
In 1860 Henry joined the Holy Cross choir and in 1910 the choir held a 50th Anniversary banquet for him. Below is a scan of the program.
|Pages 1 & 2|
Below left is an article from the Times Union detailing the events of the anniversary banquet and to the right is a scan of the Holy Cross Choir from 1912. Henry's sons Edward and John along with son-in-law Andrew Hahn were also members of the choir.
Henry Koreman was buried in the Koreman family plot at Our Lady Help of Christians Cemetery in Glenmont, New York.