21 November 2017

Tombstone Tuesday : Johann Remigius (Michael) Albert

Ah, it is eight days since my shoulder operation. My bicep tendon in shoulder was torn and revamped. The rotator cuff tendon was partially torn and repaired. The lambrum which holds your shoulder in place was damaged and tightened. The reason this is being mentioned is because I am right handed. It was my right shoulder that was repaired. Now I find it very difficult to manage with one "left" arm. Typing up until now was literally impossible. I managed to rig myself and arm so that I can type; but not for long. Therefore unless posts are already scheduled to go live, articles may be scarce for a bit. We will see.

The second to last gravestone that I repaired before my operation was that of Johann Remigius (Michael) Albert and that of his wife Theresa Maier Albert. The stone had tipped over due to the base being unlevel and an offending shrub obscuring the stone. Below shows the shrub removed but the base is un-level.



Next the base was leveled. The stone was hoisted upright to be cleaned, two new pins installed, and fresh lithomex mortar layed underneath the stone and around the joint where the stone meets the base. No comment on the shoe.



The final product is below. Over the Winter the D2 should do its work and the stone will be brighter come this Spring.



Until the Spring comes, my gravestone restoration projects are finished. Injuries, Winter, snow, cold, and ice will make sure that I now take up my genealogy research for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment