06 June 2017

Tombstone Tuesday : Hannah Philmore

This week's tombstone photo is from the Stephentown Center Baptist Cemetery on Calvin Cole Road. I drove by this cemetery this weekend on the way to the Cherry Plain State Park in Petersburg. Obviously I had to stop. The land that this cemetery is on is also for sale. Anyone looking to own their own historic cemetery? The cemetery was relatively small but appeared to be in pretty good shape. I did not notice any fallen stones. Perhaps the cemetery was recently rehabbed? I could not help but notice the stone below. It is nicely carved and is in excellent condition for being 175 years old.



A transcription of the stone follows:

SACRED
To the Memory of 
HANNAH
Wife of 
JOEL PHILMORE
Who departed this Life
March 6th 1842
Aged 57 Years

Dear Mourning friends who live to weep
And pass this grave, see here I sleep
Prepare for death as you must die
And be entombed, as well as I

No comments:

Post a Comment