06 December 2014

Finding Abram Harrington

Yesterday, I took a hike in the East Greenbush Town Park.  I was looking for a gravesite which is located on or near the Town Park property.  Twelve years ago my wife and I took the kids on a hike at the park and we found two tombstones off the trail.  Although at this time my genealogical pursuits were on hiatus, I still had to have my photo taken with the newly found gravestone.  The picture is below.



Well I had recently been curious about the old stone we found years ago; so I went looking for it.  Unfortunately I could not find it.  Things appeared different from how I had remembered them.  Along the trail, I thought that there were old rusted out and abandoned cars and farm tractors/equipment.  They were not there, which is a good thing.  But why could I not find the old gravestones?

Last night I found the photo that was taken of my daughter and I at the gravesite and I found that the person's name was Harrington.  After doing a google search, it was determined that the two stones were those of Capt. Abram Harrington who died 29 July 1846 at age 82 and Mary Coons Harrington, wife of Capt. Abram who died on 2 October 1832 aged 66 years.  Further I found that Abram was a Revoluntary War soldier also.  Now, I do not know how accurate this last information is without doing further research but it is quite possible.

The next question is why could I not find the grave site? I did not have a lot of time to look around for it but as I mentioned the abandoned vehiciles were all missing and as I walked further into the trails I came to an opening where a baseball field was recently created.  I walked to the main entrance way and determined that I was on Route 151 at the Miracle League baseball fields.  I found that this field offers children with special needs an opportunity to play sports.  I believe that this is a great organization and very much needed for disabled people.

I am hoping that the burial spot of this possible Revoluntary War veteran was not destroyed in the creation of the baseball field? Over the weekend, I will be heading back with two daughter's in tow to search the area.  Three sets of eyes are better than one.  I am hopeful that we find the gravesite.

1 comment:

  1. Wow..that"s a very interesting story.
    Please be sure to follow up and advise your findings when you go back to search again.
    While the ultimate final usage for the disabled children is very admirable, I hope that the dignity of the Harrington's final resting place was respected and that this potential Revolutionary War Veteran and wife were interred in a suitable location.

    ReplyDelete