16 November 2014

Care of old Photos

A project that I have been working on for about a year that seems very simple will hopefully be complete in about a week.  My old family photos were put in those magnetic photo albums from the 1980s and 1990s. The perpetrator of this crime was myself.  I unknowingly put upwards of 500+ photos into multiple magnetic albums which are supposedly not very good for the photos.

The final, but largest collection will finally be put into archival quality albums and photo sleeves.  It has been a lot of work but I think that it will be worth it.  These photos were in the albums for a little over twenty years and it appeared that some of the photos were beginning to stick to the magnetic cover.  I was able to remove them from the magnetic film without damaging them.  I guess that I was lucky. Who knows how it would have worked had the photos been in the album for another twenty years?

A photo below shows some of the photos that are organized and piled into groups that will be put into new albums.  It does not look like many but believe me; there are enough of them to keep anyone busy for a while.



A company called University Products, Inc. is where I purchased the new archival albums and sleeves.  The company website is http://www.universityproducts.com
Although their materials are very expensive, so far I am very happy with their products.  The bottom line is if I had done this, initially, years ago I would not be doing today. Also, very very important before putting photos in albums, be sure to lightly write on the back of the photo who the photo is of and perhaps a date as to when the photo was taken.  I have numerous photos of unknown relatives that are upwards of 130-140 years old; and we have no idea who these people are because everyone who might know who they were are long gone now.  Please do not let this happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment